Sunday, July 09, 2006

Vacation!

We had a wonderful vacation, we are all sorry to see it end. We especially weren't happy to come home to 100+ degree weather. We started our trip driving through Nevada and Arizona. We stopped in Provo, Utah for lunch and let the kids run around outside for awhile. We stopped in Pocotello Idaho for some sleep and then drove into Idaho Falls where we visited Terry's mom's gravesite. We then headed into Yellowstone via the Montana west entrance. Our first sighting of wildlife were 2 bald eagles in a nest. My picture was from the RV b/c there wasn't a turnout but Terry assured me that I would see plenty of animals. Boy was he was right. In fact we saw so many bison that after the first 2 days the kids didn't even yell out when they saw one. We also saw ospreys, elk, gray wolves, a coyote, deer, pronghorn deer, and on the last day a male teenage grizzly bear!! I loved Yellowstone, there is so much to see I can't wait to go back. We also met up with some friends of ours, Leslie and Matt who live in Montana. After Yellowstone we drove through the Grand Teton National Park into Jackson Hole Wyoming. The kids were ready to move here (of course they don't have any idea what the winters are like). We went to a rodeo on the 4th of July and watched the fireworks afterward. The next morning the 4 bigger kids and I went on a rafting trip down the Snake River where we saw 8 more bald eagles. Later that night we went to chuckwagon/dinner show where we rode in covered wagons and almost got attacked by Indians but ended up arriving safely to our dinner spot where we ate BBQ and listened to a band play cowboy songs. We stopped in Salt Lake on the way back home and took the kids to a Water Park before driving the rest of the way home. I was ready. We did good but 7 people in an RV for 11 days can take its toll on you. I do think there was 1 night in there where I had quite a few Malibu's and pineapple juice. The pictures are great, will follow.

3 comments:

Chet and Gini said...

Glad you had so much fun. Can't wait to see the pictures

Katy said...

I remember showing up in Cali when I was a kid and sharing all the national park info with you we had collected in order to get there. I remember you saying how much fun a trip like that sounded. Its so cool that you are taking your family on vacations like these.
Kent and I grew from being just boyfriend and girlfriend to family while we were camping across America. I imagine your family will look back and "...remember that year was the year we saw..."

Mike and Annette said...

It sounds like a wonderful vacation. I also love Yellowstone Park. So much to see and to do there. Looking forward to seeing some pics.