Monday, September 11, 2006

Where were you when the world stopped turning

Glenn and I always had the channel 4 news on in the mornings and the morning of September 11th was no different. Glenn was in the kitchen and as I walked through the hallway into the family room and kitchen he tells me that a plane has crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City. We continue to get ready for work and the kids for school thinking that it was a horrible accident. I do not believe we knew at that time that the plane was a commercial airline. The TV is still on as the 2nd plane, United Airline Flight 175 hits the second tower. I do not remember what the newscasters were saying but I knew the 2nd plane was not an accident and that this must be a terror attack. I could not tear myself away from the TV but I also did not want the kids to see the fear and panic on TV and with myself. I left the TV on and was stunned to hear that a plane had crashed into the Pentagon. I screamed and hollered to Glenn who is now in the bedroom. Max comes running to me and says, "Mama you're scaring me". At this point I stop all morning activities and stare at the TV. Channel 4 has cut from local news and has turned to the Today show. A helicopter is filming the burning of the towers and the cameras cut away to different positions and angles. I think it was Katie Couric's voiceover at 9:49 (6:49 California time) that says exactly what I was thinking - Something just happened as the tower collapsed.

I did end up going to work that day although I do not believe I worked at all. I wanted to pick up the kids and go home. I think I cried all evening watching the news and hearing of the terrible stories of missing loved ones. The makeshift "Have you seen this person" were images I will never forget.

Terry was at work that day as well. He had just returned from New York City on Sunday evening the 9th. Although he did not have time to go to the Twin Towers on his visit he took a picture of the Manhattan skyline and kept the picture on his office door for a long time.

3 comments:

Mike and Annette said...

We had been in Mexico only a few months at that time. I still had satellite TV and it was on USA stations. I was not paying attention and saw the burning plane and tower. About an hour later I noticed the same image on the TV. I thought it was a movie and finally turned up the volume and listened. Then the phones started ringing from my American friends. I dont think we felt the same impact that Americans living in the USA were feeling. There was horror and concern but not he panic I saw and heard abpit./ But the next day our group was having a breakfast at a local restaurant and the whole wait staff came to our table and asked us if we were Americans, then they asked if any of us were from New York, and if our families were all safe back in the states. They told us how sorry they were at what happened. Their geniune concern really touched me and I will never forget their kindness.

Chet and Gini said...

I was already at work when it happened - we have a TV in the basement and we were all down there staring at it in disbelief. The overwhemling impulse was to call our family members to be sure they were okay - even though we knew they were no where near the disasters. I was also worried about all of you out in California - I think everyone was convinced that something was going to happen in LA next.

Obert Life is Good said...

I was on one of my jobs building a pool and bathhouse. I usually don't have a radio on but happened to flip it on in my car for a few moments. I did not see any TV coverage until I got home that evening, but I remember how strange it was to not see any airplanes flying overhead. The area I was in usually had a regular procession of all kinds of aircraft, but to see nothing in the sky was strange. It seemed most of the birds kept themselves grounded at the time.